Recent Fire Damage Posts
SERVPRO of Nixa/Branson Laundry Facility Upgrade
SERVPRO of Nixa/Branson new laundry facility
SERVPRO of Nixa/Branson has recently completed upgrades to our laundry facility to better serve our customers. When one of our customers’ homes is affected by a fire, even a small fire most time all the clothing and textiles in the home are affected. We recently purchased new commercial washing machine, we now have 3 washing machines and 3 dryers, we also enlarged our laundry storage facility to accommodate more storage for dry cleaning and regular laundry services and added some new laundry carts, a new ironing press and fresh new paint and flooring. Our contents cleaning specialist have already put our new equipment to work washing cleaning and protecting and packing laundry for our customers. If your home suffers a fire or smoke and soot damage, please call us to schedule a time to assess your property. Our professionals will walk you through the process of restoring your home and contents.
Tips on Cleaning and Preserving your Taxidermy
If your home or business has suffered fire or smoke damage and your trophy mounts have been affected, please feel free to call SERVPRO of Nixa/Branson
SERVPRO of Nixa/Branson specializes in many different types of cleaning but did you know we do taxidermy cleaning? Living in the Branson area as you probably expect we get quite a bit of taxidermy cleaning. Our staff is trained and knowledgeable in safely and efficiently cleaning your prized trophy mounts, SERVPRO of Nixa/Branson has an in house taxidermy cleaning specialist with many years of experience. We use a four-step process to clean our customers trophy mounts. The cleaner is a powder form that is easily mixed with warm water, this step cleans and deodorizes the mount. You spray the fur with the cleaner and use a lint free cloth to wipe the entire mount. Repeat this step as necessary until the fur is clean. Second, we spray a solution called sheen and shield and wipe or use a soft dog brush to brush the fur back in place, while also brushing the solution into the fur. The third step we use lemon furniture polish (we prefer Pledge brand for this job), to wipe the horns and antlers and eyes. This will help keep the dust off and help keep them shiny once they are back on your wall. The fourth step is applying cedar oil. Dab some cedar oil onto a lint free cloth and wipe once over all of the fur, this will help keep any and all bugs away from your mount and prolong the life of your taxidermy.
If you would like to try your hand at cleaning and preserving your own mounts, here are a few tips:
- Always brush/wipe in the direction with the fur.
- Only work on one mount at a time, finish the entire cleaning process before moving onto the next mount.
- Never fully saturate the fur with any liquid, this will loosen the glue holding it all together.
- Clean your taxidermy every six months to prolong the life and quality of your mount.
- You can buy a taxidermy cleaning kit here - https://www.mckenziesp.com/TCK1-P16790.aspx
If your home or business has suffered fire or smoke damage and your trophy mounts have been affected, please feel free to call SERVPRO of Nixa/Branson we can come out and assess the damage and get a plan in place to restore your home and trophy mounts. Call us today at 417-724-0084.
Who to call when a Fire Strikes your Branson Home
SERVPRO of Nixa/Branson Account Manager Amberlyn with a Fire Care Basket with a Fire Care Package.
If you are dealing with fire, smoke or water damage from a recent fire, the experienced team at SERVPRO of Nixa/Branson is ready to respond. Since we are locally owned and operated, we are prepared for the challenges a fire brings, and can respond quickly. Immediate action and a fast response can limit damage, prevent further damage, and reduce restoration costs.
When choosing a restoration company there are many things you should take into consideration. For more than 50 years, SERVPRO has been a trusted leader in fire and water cleanup and restoration services, construction, mold mitigation, biohazard, and pathogen remediation.
One thing our team at SERVPRO of Nixa/Branson strives for every day is go the extra mile to take care of our customers. When a disaster like a fire strikes your home or property, it instantly turns your world upside down. Our team of dedicated professionals will walk alongside your family through this entire process, one small way we like to take care of our customers after a fire is a care basket. Our fire care basket includes a blanket, men and women’s deodorant, bottles of water, toothbrushes, toothpaste, contact cleaning solution, Q-tips, note pad, pen, hair ties, hairbrush, shampoo and conditioner, a bar of soap, sanitizing wipes, Chapstick and Advil.
Choose SERVPRO of Nixa/Branson, a local company that specializes in fire damage restoration. We are Here to Help® and ready to respond in the Branson area.
Have Questions? Call Us Today – 417-724-0084
Cooking up Kitchen Safety
Ranges and cooktops are the most involved appliances in home fire cooking, they account for about 48 percent of all fires, ovens for 16 percent.
The leading cause of fires in the kitchen is unattended cooking, over 90 percent of cooking fires are caused by this. Stay in the kitchen when you are frying, grilling, or broiling food. If you must leave for some reason turn off the stove. Check your food regularly, set yourself a reminder if you have something on the stove or in the oven. Stay alert, don’t cook if you are drowsy or sleepy. Keep flammable items away from your heat source, items such as oven mitts, potholders, wooden utensil, packaging and bags, curtains, and towels. Clean up any spills or grease as soon as they happen, and the stovetop is cool. Don’t wear loose clothing such as long sleeves and scarves, they can easily catch fire. Install smoke alarms in the kitchen, outside each sleeping area, inside each bedroom, and on every level of your home (including the basement).
If a cooking fire does break out, the NFPA offers this advice:
- Just get out! When you leave, close the door behind you to help contain the fire.
- Call 9-1-1 or the local emergency number after you leave.
- If you try to fight the fire, be sure others are getting out and you have a clear way out.
- Keep a lid nearby when you're cooking to smother small grease fires. Smother the fire by sliding the lid over the pan and turn off the stovetop. Leave the pan covered until it is completely cooled.
- For an oven fire turn off the heat and keep the door closed.
- Consider purchasing a fire extinguisher to keep in your kitchen. Contact your local fire department to take training on the proper use of extinguishers.
- Always check the kitchen before going to bed or leaving the home to make sure all stoves, ovens, and small appliances are turned off.
What Happens to your Contents when you have a fire?
If you experience a fire in your home, it can be a devastating experience, especially when you realize that your personal possessions have been affected. We understand you’re your home is more than just the structure; your family’s furniture, clothing and keepsakes and other belongings help transform a house into a home. At first glance after a fire, it may seem as if your home and contents are beyond saving, but that is not always the case. Often your valuables, keepsakes and furniture and electronics can be restored if you act quickly and get professional help in restoring them.
Content pack out and cleaning is part of the restoration and cleanup process and involves packing damaged items in your home and relocating them to a safe area. When SERVPRO of Nixa/Branson arrives at your home we will begin to assess your home and determine what can be cleaned and restored.
Some common items that can be restored are:
We use proprietary software to photograph and inventory each item and box, assigning a barcode to each item. This keeps the process organized and gives our customers peace of mind that their personal belongings are taken care of from the beginning to the end of this process. After your contents are packed and boxed up, they are moved to our cleaning and storage facility. The contents specialist at SERVPRO of Nixa/Branson take care to clean each of your items according to our industry standards and using SERVPRO cleaning products and methods.
When restoration is completed, we will work with you to coordinate the move-in according to your needs. The services offered upon move-in may depend on your insurance coverage.
If you have questions or would like more information about how SERVPRO of Nixa/Branson can help with restoring your homes contents after a fire please contact us today at 417-724-0084.
Tips for Fireplace Safety
Choose SERVPRO of Springfield/Greene County, a local company that specializes in fire, water and storm damage restoration. We are Here to Help.
Fireplaces are a great way to heat your home and keep it warm and cozy in the winter, but they do not come without some risks, so it is important that you take some measures in your home to keep it safe while using a fireplace or wood stove. Follow these heating safety tips to help keep your home safe this winter.
- Keep anything that can burn at least 3 feet from your fireplace or wood stove.
- Put the fire out before you go to sleep or leave your home.
- Have your chimney inspected and cleaned each year by a professional.
- Do not burn paper in your fireplace or wood stove.
- Put ashes in a metal container with a lid. Place the container outside at least 10 feet from your home.
- Keep glass or metal screen in front of your fireplace to prevent embers or sparks from jumping out.
- Make sure your wood stove has been tested by a qualified testing laboratory.
- Keep the doors of your wood stove closed unless loading and stoking the live fire.
A fire can happen anytime. If you are dealing with fire, smoke or water damage from a recent fire, the experienced team at SERVPRO of Springfield/Greene County is ready to respond. Since we are locally owned and operated, we are prepared for the challenges a fire brings, and can respond quickly. Immediate action and a fast response can limit damage, prevent further damage, and reduce restoration costs. Our highly trained crews have the specialized equipment and resources to handle the job, large or small, residential, and commercial. Our teams are prepared with strategically located equipment in case of fire emergency including Republic, Willard, and Rogersville.
What to Know Before Buying a Fire Damaged Home
Buying a fire damaged home? Call SERVPRO of Nixa / Branson.
With home prices skyrocketing, people are willing to do almost anything to get a good deal, including buying a house that has had a fire. That could be a good investment because they cost less and may even be negotiated to a lower price. But the following are things you need to know before buying a fire damage home.
How Deep Was the Damage?
How much damage a house has suffered can determine whether it’s worth purchasing and/or flipping. If the damage was only cosmetic where just the carpet and walls were scorched, that wouldn’t be too big of a deal. But if the damage is deeper and affects the subfloors, joists, plumbing or the HVAC, then you’re talking serious money and it might not be worth your time or effort.
How Long Since the Fire?
Do you know how long it’s been since the fire occurred? If the house has sat for a while needing fire damage cleanup without any repairs done on it, then you might want to pass. The longer fire damage is allowed to sit, the more deterioration will take place. Soot and ash are acidic and can cause irreversible property damage if not treated immediately. Soot can cause the metal in plumbing fixtures, lights, etc., to pit or corrode. Glass in windows and mirrors can be etched by soot residue, making them look cloudy and soiled. Plastics, appliances, vinyl windows and fabrics can be permanently discolored by soot residue.
Fire damage and water damage are almost always linked because firefighters extinguish flames with water. And many times, a fire will open a house up to the elements. If that water isn’t immediately removed or dried up, it can cause severe problems with mold and may weaken the foundation. And since water is a solvent, it will slowly dissolve, break apart and destroy most of the materials in a home if not dealt with promptly. These problems must be handled by restoration professionals that have the needed equipment.
What About Hidden Damage?
It can be difficult to see if a home has structural damage from a fire when you’re doing a walkthrough. That’s why you should not only get a home inspected before buying, but you should also contact SERVPRO of Nixa / Branson to do a walk through and consultation. If you have a better idea of how much structural damage exists and a rough estimate of what it will cost, you’ll be able to negotiate a deal to ensure a higher return on your investment.
Home shows on TV make flipping a house look fun, quick, and profitable. But the true reality is that those with fire and water damage can be a lot of work if you don’t know what you’re doing. The best way to buy a house with fire damage is to have SERVPRO of Nixa / Branson on your team to do the work needed to once again make it a livable home.
Fire: Dangers in the Aftermath
Fire Damaged Garage from a recent residential fire SERVPRO of Nixa/Branson completed
There’s been a fire at your home or business. Once the firemen leave, your first inclination may be to go inside the structure to see what you can salvage and start the cleaning process. But cleaning up after a fire is much more complicated than regular cleaning. It’s also very dangerous. Because once the last flame has been snuffed out, the dangers from a fire continue.
Since fire destroys all materials, the soot that covers everything you touch and that you kick up in the air is full of toxic substances. That’s why the highly trained professionals at SERVPRO of Nixa / Branson wear heavy duty personal protection equipment (PPE) on fire mitigation jobs until all the soot is removed. Here are some of the poisons found in the soot and ashes of a building fire:
- Mesothelioma (cancer) causing asbestos fibers from building materials
- Carbon materials can produce carbon monoxide, ammonia, and nitrogen oxides
- PVC can create hydrogen chloride, phosgene (used as a chemical weapon during World War I), dioxin, Refrigerant-40, bromomethane (a pesticide), etc.
- Hydrogen sulfide and sulfur dioxide (poisonous gasses)
- Petroleum based items can produce formaldehyde, acrolein, furfural, cresols, and other harmful chemicals
- Even wood smoke releases more than 100 chemicals also found in cigarette smoke
Removing the Odors
One of the main aftereffects of a fire are odors. These can be difficult to remove without professional know-how and equipment. For instance, did you know that several factors can impact the strength of fire odors? Some of these are:
- Size - The bigger the fire, the more objects have burned, and thus there’s been more smoke.
- Length -The longer a structure has been exposed to smoke, the more deeply odor has seeped into porous materials.
- Space - When a fire occurs in a smaller room, the smoke odor becomes more intense and concentrated.
- Stuff - Not all odors are equal. For instance, burning wood, plastic and protein, all emit different smells with varied consistency.
SERVPRO of Nixa / Branson has the knowledge and equipment to eliminate the diverse and pungent odors that occur after a fire. Besides the easily accessible areas, we also examine wall cavities, duct work, crawl spaces and plumbing chases to establish whether they also suffered any smoke or fire damage. We’ll ensure that they’re cleaned, repaired and that all traces of odor are removed.
So as tempting as it may be to rush back into your fire damaged home or business once the fire is out, play it safe and call SERVPRO of Nixa/Branson first so that we can safely make it “Like it never even happened."
Fire Damage Do's and Don'ts
Fire in Crawl Space Causes Smoke Damage to Southwest Missouri Home
Emergency Fire Damage Tips
- Keep hands clean
- Limit movement in the home to prevent further damage.
- Place dry, colorfast towels or old linens on carpeted traffic areas to prevent more soiling.
- If electricity is off, empty freezer and refrigerator and prop doors open.
- Wipe soot from chrome on faucets and appliances then protect with a light coating of lubricant.
- Don't attempt to wash any walls or painted surfaces or shampoo carpet or upholstery without contacting us.
- Don't attempt to clean any electrical appliances that may have been close to fire, heat or water without consulting an authorized repair service.
- Don't use any canned or packaged food or beverages that may have been stored near the fire, heat or water.
- Don't turn on ceiling fixtures if ceiling is wet. The wiring may be damaged.
- Don't send garments to an ordinary dry cleaner. Improper cleaning may set smoke odor.
After any fire damage situation, your primary focus should be safety first:
- Is it safe to stay in the house?
- Electrical and "slip and fall" hazards are some of the most prevalent concerns.
- Only do activities that are safe for you to perform.
- Wet materials can be VERY heavy. Be careful!
Every fire damage event is a little different, and requires a unique solution, call SERVPRO of Nixa/Branson at 417-724-0084 we can help assess your situation!
Commercial Fire Damage Southwest Missouri
This is a recent fire and water damage in a commercial building in the Branson area.
This is a recent Fire and Water Damage in a Commercial building in Southwest Missouri. This building was adjacent to a warehouse that was completely demolished by fire. SERVPRO of Nixa/Branson was called and we completed emergency services by extracting and cleaning the flooded floors left behind from the Fire Department when putting out the fire. Our employees worked diligently through the night to extract the water left over from the Fire Department. The floors were also covered in soot as you can see in the photos, so we steam cleaned the floors, to keep the rest of the plant from getting cross contaminated with soot.
Fire and smoke damage is especially destructive. Like this situation, in many instances your Branson property will also suffer from water damage from firefighting efforts. We specialize in fire and water damage restoration; it’s the cornerstone of our business. We have specialized equipment, specific training, and certifications that allow us restore your home or business to pre-fire condition.
Why SERVPRO of Nixa/Branson
SERVPRO of Nixa/Branson Smoke and Soot Cleanup
Smoke and Soot Can Cause Pervasive Odor in your Nixa/Branson home.
Smoke and Soot Damage Can Cause a Pervasive Odor in Your Nixa/Branson Home.
Smoke and soot is very invasive and can penetrate various cavities within your home, causing hidden damage and odor. Our smoke damage expertise and experience allows us to inspect and accurately assess the extent of the damage to develop a comprehensive plan of action.
Smoke and soot facts:
- Hot smoke migrates to cooler areas and upper levels of a structure.
- Smoke flows around plumbing systems, seeping through the holes used by pipes to go from floor to floor.
- The type of smoke may greatly affect the restoration process.
Different Types of Smoke
There are two different types of smoke–wet and dry. As a result, there are different types of soot residue after a fire. Before restoration begins, SERVPRO of Nixa/Branson will test the soot to determine which type of smoke damage occurred. The cleaning procedures will then be based on the information identified during pretesting. Here is some additional information:
Wet Smoke – Plastic and Rubber
- Low heat, smoldering, pungent odor, sticky, smeary. Smoke webs are more difficult to clean.
Dry Smoke – Paper and Wood
- Fast burning, high temperatures, heat rises therefore smoke rises.
Protein Fire Residue – Produced by evaporation of material rather than from a fire
- Virtually invisible, discolors paints and varnishes, extreme pungent odor.
Our Fire Damage Restoration Services
Since each smoke and fire damage situation is a little different, each one requires a unique solution tailored for the specific conditions. We have the equipment, expertise, and experience to restore your fire and smoke damage. We will also treat your family with empathy and respect and your property with care.
Have Questions about Fire, Smoke, or Soot Damage?
Call Us Today – 417-724-0084
The Top 10 Ways to Avoid Fires
A recent garage fire to a Southwest Missouri home
Fires will always happen, but we prefer that you personally never have to experience one! If you do, click here for some after the fire do’s and don’ts while waiting for help to arrive.
Fires devastate homes and businesses and cause damage in numerous ways. Not only is fire destructive, but it also leaves behind lingering and pervasive odors, not to mention extensive water damage that results from the firefighter’s efforts to extinguish the flames. The professionals at SERVPRO® of Nixa/Branson have the specialized training, equipment and experience that will restore your home or place of work to preloss conditions.
To increase the odds that you’ll stay safe, consider these Top 10 causes of fire. Use this information to plan how to make your home or business a safer place:
- Cooking: Avoid splattering grease, never leave kitchens unattended and keep flammable materials away from heat sources.
- Heating Equipment: Have your furnace checked regularly and keep portable heaters away from combustibles.
- Smoking: If you smoke in or near the house, always make sure the cigarette butt is fully put out and make the bedroom off-limits to smoking.
- Electricity: Look out for frayed cords, the overuse of extension cords and overloaded outlets, and don’t run electrical wires under rugs or heavy furniture.
- Candles: Never leave them unattended and keep them out of the reach of children or pets.
- Children: Keep them away from matches and lighters to suppress any curiosity they may have about what happens when different items burn.
- Inadequate wiring: It’s often found in older homes and apartments. Have a professional electrician check yours.
- Flammable Liquids: Keep fuels, solvents, cleaning agents, thinners, adhesives, and paints away from heat sources.
- Holiday Decor: Keep your Christmas tree well-watered and away from heat sources. Check decorative lights for damage and never place candles on or near Christmas trees.
- Grills: Keep them away from your home, deck rails, tablecloths and tree limbs. And never use them indoors, including your garage.
SERVPRO® of Nixa/Branson has the knowledge, professional equipment and ability to eliminate all traces of a fire. Besides the easily accessible areas, we also examine wall cavities, duct work, crawl spaces and plumbing chases to establish whether they also suffered any smoke or fire damage. We ensure that all fire damage is cleaned, repaired, or removed and leave your home or business as if it never even happened.